- Focus on capital, incentives, and other economic and financial tools to assist new and existing businesses.
- Catalyze property development.
- Create a supportive environment for entrepreneurs and innovators that drive local economies.
In May 2018, ANC3B held a community-wide discussion focused on neighborhood concerns about the declining vitality of our commercial area. Nearly 200 people attended, attesting to the high level of interest. The meeting was prompted in part by the closing of Whole Foods in a landlord dispute, which hurt local businesses that depended on the foot traffic the store brought to the neighborhood.
A committee formed after the meeting to research ways to bring new life to the business area identified DC’s Main Streets Program as a solution to our problem. As the Glover Park Alliance, the group moved forward to engage stakeholders in the idea of becoming a Main Street. The Alliance won key support from Ward 3 Councilmember Mary Cheh, and from business owners, building owners, community leaders and residents for its application to become Glover Park Main Street (GPMS).
The Department of Small and Local Business Development awarded a renewable Main Street grant to Glover Park Alliance as of October 1, 2019. In December, the Alliance hired Kate Dean as GPMS’s Executive Director. By February 2020, a full 11-member Board of Directors was elected and plans were in place for GPMS projects to improve the streetscape and attract patrons to local businesses. In March, DC Mayor Muriel Bowser ordered businesses to shut down in response to the COVID-19 crisis, so GPMS refocused its mission into providing capital and technical assistance. After a very successful year one, GPMS is now in its second year of operation.
Mission and Vision
GPMS works to strengthen the Glover Park business economy. Our mission is to support & promote local, small business by increasing vitality on the corridor, improving the streetscape, and creating a distinct sense of place in the city.Contact Us
Main Street Approach
The Main Street Approach™ offers community-based revitalization initiatives with a practical, adaptable framework for downtown transformation that is easily tailored to local conditions. The Main Street Approach helps communities get started with revitalization, and grows with them over time.
- Support a community’s transformation by enhancing the physical and visual assets that set the commercial district apart.
- Create a strong foundation for a sustainable revitalization effort
- Cultivate partnerships, community involvement, and resources for the district.
- Position the commercial district as the center of the community and hub of economic activity.
- Create a positive image that showcases a community’s unique characteristics.